Bihar National College, a constituent unit of Patna University, was established in the year 1889. It is one of the biggest and oldest multi-faculty colleges of the state imparting degree level teaching in almost all the subjects of Arts and Science and upto post graduate level in some selected subjects.
The college is most centrally located in Patna occupying an area of approximately 2.5 acres of land containing separate blocks for different science departments viz. Physics, Chemistry, Zoology, Botany, Geology, Statistics, Central Library, Administrative blocks besides a large seminar hall and other facilities. Financially the college is covered under Patna University budget.
Every year approximately 3500 students are admitted to various courses offered by the institution. There are about 175 well-experienced teachers involved in academic activities.
The college is situated in Central Patna along Ashok Rajpath on the Southern bank of the Ganga River. There are two separate big buildings one each for Arts and Science faculties. In the sprawling fields play grounds for various outdoor games and lawns with seasonal flowers alongside add to the facilities to the students and natural beauty of the campus. In the internal premises of the building central library, separate common rooms for boys and girls, laboratories with modern equipments/instruments well equipped seminar hall along with other useful facilities for students have been setup.
Bihar National College was founded & looked after by S/Sri Vishveshwar Singh and Shaligram Singh – the meritorious and patriot brother duo from the landlord family of Shahabad district in 1889. In the year 1892, the Calcutta University on account of inclusion of Honours and Law Courses granted class one college status. In 1908, under the revised legislation of the Calcutta University separate classrooms, library and laboratories were required to be provided for affiliation. The active co-operation of the people as well as senior officials of the state govt could achieve all these. In the year 1923 under a new managing committee of the college and the state govt. , the college buildings along with other assets were handed over to the govt. for taking up entire financial liabilities. Later in 1928, the govt constructs the Arts Block and the Hostel buildings were. Finally in 1952 with the inception of Academic and Residential Patna University, the B.N.College was merged in the University as a constituent unit.
During the X th plan period of UGC, the college has been accredited with B++ grade by NAAC a statutory body under UGC for gradation of Colleges and Universities (2004). This would facilitate the college to receive grants from UGC.
Under the UGC directive the Patna University has also implementing a scheme for “college with potential of excellence”. The college has applied for it and is making all out efforts and expects to get recognition to this extent.
Every Year the students of this college excel in the Examinations conducted by Patna University. Several of the students of this college secure very high position in their Honours or Post Graduate examinations.
Several Teachers of the College have achieved the distinction of having successfully guiding students for their Ph.D Degree under Patna University. Several Teachers are selected every year to represent Patna University in National and International Seminars in different faculties.
Phone: +91 612 2300619
Ashok Rajpath, Patna - 800 004 (BIHAR)